Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pepper anyone


One of the activities I enjoy is gardening. Living in Erie has taught me to enjoy the sun, grass and even bugs while they are around because the winter will be long and very cold. I enjoy the process of growth and production. Seeing a tiny seed grow into a mature plant able to produce fruit or vegetable. This year I planted a few pepper plants. They were all supposed to be different colors and shapes and sizes. At first, they were all green and I thought I had been taken by the seed distributor, but I soon found out green meant it wasn't ripe. I also found out I had planted half a dozen orange pepper plants. So, today I pulled in the ripe peppers. I showed Michelle the dozen or so orange peppers I had grown and she suggested we can them. Ordinarily we would eat them, but my plants are not showing any sign of slowing down and I still have many more turning ripe. The canning process is very interesting to me having grown up in a house were we bought things canned but never canned our own. I always thought it was something for someone else to do and that it was so complex only skilled professionals could get vegetables in a can. I am very grateful for my wife who just looks at me as though I am the one who grew up in the middle of no where and then shows me how to put pepper slices into little glass jars so we can have orange peppers in the winter. It reminds me of the seasons we all have in life. The times of plenty and the times of very little. I am very grateful for the people who have walked with me in the hard times and reminded me of the changing of the seasons as we await another harvest.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on entering the canning world! I like green peppers and I love red peppers. Not sure what orange peppers taste like.

    ReplyDelete