Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eating Sand

No Emma, don't eat the sand... Gosh that's so cute I need to take a picture. Stop eating the sand... Would you just pay attention I need to get one more for mommy. Don't chew on the rocks... Just tip your cup a little, that's it, got it.

I am often reminded of my childhood when eating sand and dirt was just part of playing outside. Do you remember the thrill of sliding through the mud and the freshly planted grass seed after a good hard rain. There was just nothing like it. What about jumping in every puddle you could find as your parents were trying to find a good spot for a summer picture. I even remember helping my younger brother ignore our parents when we were supposed to be "staying clean". Especially before church, it was a weekly ritual to see how much dirt, mud and grass we could get on our pants. The best was when we got in the car without my mother seeing we had trashed our clothes until we got out at the church. It was also fun to bring bugs and small animals in the car with us. I even remember helping my brother get a snake in the trunk once.

Now it would seem, with four little children, I am going to have to experience all of these events over again. I can't decide if it is a good thing or not. Until I can answer for sure I will just keep taking pictures so I can prove later to my children that they preferred eating sand to just about anything else. I will also remember the many times a little dirt added so much to a summer day.

1 comment:

  1. That is SO CUTE. Let her eat sand, it's good for her immune system ;-).

    ReplyDelete