Monday, October 4, 2010

Crooked and Twisted

It has been a little while since I last posted an update on the book of Philippians. I hope to catch up a little now. I will begin with 2:11 and end with 2:30.
I am struck by Paul's words about the "crooked and twisted generation". I know I have often heard this type of language and have even used it, but I still find it difficult language. There isn't any good reason I find it tough, there is evidence of the crooked and twisted all around. I couldn't run from the reality of this generation if I tried. The truth is, my work has done nothing but show me more of the hurt, pain, destruction, and yes the crooked and twisted in the lives of people around me.
It is Paul's desire for the Philippians to see this as well. But to not just observe the perversion and darkness in the world, but to engage it. "...shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life,..." This was the behavior Paul longed for from this beloved people. This is a dangerous life to live, a life all to familiar to Paul, one of sacrifice and service. Yet, these are the attributes of a follower of Christ. We are called to look different, to live different. To engage the world differently. This is what it means to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." To live not as you were, but as you are being made and have been made. New, by the power of the Holy Spirit, saved by the sacrifice and service of the Son and adopted into the family of our Father in heaven.
Our world is twisted and crooked, and it is our responsibility to care and to seek life for all those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment