Monday, February 28, 2011

Basements

When Michelle and I moved up here, we had an apartment with a wet dungeon for a basement. There was no reason to ever go down there, there was no reason you would want to go down there. If it wasn't for a washer and dryer at the bottom of the steps we never would have. It would snow in the winter and we would get water down there. It would rain in the spring and we would get water down there. It could be a hot summer day and there would still be water pooling in the basement. We didn't mind, we didn't care, after all it was down there were we hardly ever went. The only creature who cared even a little were the spiders I think. There were plenty of those. They stayed down there for the most part and caught what ever came in through the cracks and openings in the mortar.
It has been several years since we left that old apartment for our house. The basement of which could not be more different. Mostly finished, with wood paneling and rainbow shag carpeting. I get the feeling I am in "that 70s show". It is also a place we put a fair amount of our stuff. Most of which either has to do with my office or is neatly boxed up children's clothing. The one constant is water. I was so happy to see it raining this morning and the snow melting that I almost forgot the basement leaks. Nothing a good old wet dry vac can't handle, but not what I had planned for the day.
As I told my mother about my wet basement she remembered how her mothers house would get so much water pooling in the back yard that the ducks from the nearby lakes got confused and would hang out in the backyard until the water all filtered into the ground or evaporated back into the air. I am quite glad I do not have ducks and especially geese congregating in my basement enjoying the cool water. Hannah, on the other hand, would love to pet a duck or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment